Joaquin ISD is seeking a full time bus driver. Salary information can be found on our website at www.joaquinisd.net under Human Resources Department and Salaries and Benefits. Salaries vary according to route length and years of experience.
Fingerprinting in order to conduct a criminal history background check is also required by Texas state law.
Operate school bus and related equipment to provide safe and orderly transportation of students and other authorized persons on assigned route and to and from other designated locations.
Clear and valid Texas commercial driver's license with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements
Must be 18 years of age
Ability to pass U.S. Department of Transportation alcohol and drug tests and annual physical exam
Ability to complete required bus driver safety training
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
Ability to use maps and Global Positioning Systems (GPS) to follow routes and locate addresses
Ability to manage student behavior
Ability to communicate effectively with others
Ability to operate bus
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Drive bus daily following assigned route and adhering to established schedules.
Drive bus to and from extracurricular activities
Anticipate problems such as traffic, weather, road conditions, and schedule changes and make necessary adjustments to ensure student safety and reduce delays.
Perform pre- and post-trip inspections according to specifications to ensure bus can be operated safely and notify supervisor of needed repairs. Keep assigned bus clean and maintain appropriate level of fuel.
Report all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries, and mechanical problems and complete required corresponding reports.
6. Instruct students on safe entering, exiting, and passenger rules and regulations. Supervise students while they board and leave the bus and cross the street.
7. Maintain discipline and use effective behavior management control over groups of students. Report student discipline problems to appropriate administrator and communicate with teachers and parents regarding student's behavior when warranted.
8. Perform emergency evacuation of students on bus when the situations warrants.
9. Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
10. Ensure proper condition of emergency equipment, such as first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flags, fuses, crow bar, and reflector.
11. Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly report conditions that are not immedicately correctable to supervisor. Report any hazardous conditions along scheduled route.
12. Install snow chains during inclement weather.
13. Maintain safety certification.
14. Operate and monitor two-way radio equipment to communicate with transportation office and other drivers.
15. Complete and maintain accurate, up-to-date, and timely records and reports including but not limited to those related to bus mileage, gas and oil comsumption, and number of passengers transported.