Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Follow assigned route and adhere to established schedules.
2. Drive bus to and from extracurricular activities.
3. Check bus for mechanical defects before and after each operation and notify supervisor of needed repairs.
4. Report all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries, and mechanical failures. Complete required reports.
5. Keep assigned bus clean and fueled.
6. Supervise students while they board and leave the bus and cross the street.
7. Communicate with teachers and parents on a daily basis regarding student behavior while on bus.
8. Maintain discipline; report student discipline problems to appropriate administrator.
9. Instruct students on safe riding rules and regulations.
10. Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
11. Inspect bus by checking fuel, oil, water, tires, lights, brakes, and steering to ensure bus can be operated safely before driving.
12. Ensure proper condition of emergency equipment, such as first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flags, fuses, crow bar, and reflector.
13. Correct unsafe conditions in work area that could cause an accident and inform supervisory of any conditions that are not correctable immediately.
14. Install snow chains during inclement weather.
15. Report any hazardous conditions along the route.
16. Operate two-way radio equipment to communicate with transportation office.
17. Work irregular hours as needed.
18. Attend and complete required training program to maintain safety certification.
19. Keeps records on bus mileage, gas and oil consumption, and number of passengers transported.
School bus, safety equipment (flares, reflective signs), fire extinguisher.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control. Continual sitting, reaching, and repetitive hand and arm motions. Work outside and inside; moderate exposure to extreme temperature (hot) and vehicle fumes.